My Blog List

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

From Tragedy to Triumph!

You may have already read this on my Facebook page (I kind of feel like I'm cheating by using this as my blog post for today, but Wednesdays are long for me and I am lacking in creativity at the moment), but just in case you missed it...

This is an excerpt of an e-mail from one of the missionaries our church supports. He works with Athletes in Action and has been at the Pan American Games in Guadalajara over the past couple of weeks. He has sent multiple updates throughout the course of the games, ALL of which have been incredibly inspiring!! This one in particular was a beautiful story I wanted to share... God is so good! I praise Him for His sovereignty & love as I read this. Enjoy.

Tragedy Hits

Two nights ago the father of one of the Brazilian [soccer] players died. She was heartbroken when she received the news and had been crying almost all day today. Her family was trying to get her a seat on a plane to come home, but nothing was open. Finally, her mother told her that her father had been talking for months about her coming home with the gold medal in the Pan American Games. Her mother told her to stay and play.

The Game

Brazil didn't have their strongest team. Several of their best players were not released by their teams in Europe and couldn't join their national team in the Pan American Games. But they played their hearts out. Alex said they played way above their heads.

The final score was....1-0.....in favor of Brazil....and the one goal scored....
was by the girl whose father died the day before.

Rejoicing

When the final whistle blew, this girl fell to her knees and lifted her arms to heaven and just started to cry. The rest of the team joined her in tears and rejoicing. It was a great moment.

No comments: