My Blog List

Thursday, August 11, 2016

"Celebration of Love" Day Four - My Fellow Walden's Baristas

I was challenged by Amanda Barone to participate in a seven-day "Celebration of Love." Being the idealist that I am, I took the liberty of altering the conditions of the "challenge" before passing it on (read more here).  I'm inviting those I tag to spend seven days celebrating anyone who makes your life richer -- your friends, your kids, your siblings, your co-workers, and sure, your spouse!  Or, do nothing except know that I am celebrating you!

Today I am tagging Jaime Meyer and Nate Capps.

Several years ago I began to realize how much I loved the atmosphere of locally owned coffee shops, so it was a bit of a dream last March when I got a job as a barista at Walden's Coffeehouse.  I had gotten to know one of the owners when a reading group I was in used to meet there on a weekly basis, and she was willing to take a chance on me despite the fact I had no experience.  Thankfully, I picked up on things quickly, and though it had its stressful moments (just like any other job), I LOVED working there.  I really adored a lot of the people I got to know during my time at Walden's, but I had particularly strong connections with Jaime and Nate.

They both, along with Nate's sweet wife, Cherish, graciously volunteered their time & talents during
our wedding, recording the events on camera and also contributing artwork for the backgrounds; but their greatest gift has been their friendship.

I didn't know Jaime at all until she became a barista at Walden's, but we got along so well.  She happens to be another INFJ (I seem to know an inordinate number of them, considering how rare this personality type is!) and she quickly became one of those people I knew I could talk to about anything and find a sympathetic listening ear.

As far as Nate goes, it is crazy now to think that I used to visit Walden's as a customer and see him behind the counter, never dreaming we'd one day be such good friends.  We concluded pretty early on that we are just "cut from the same cloth," and last time Eric & I saw him we drove away talking about how easy it is to be around him.  Nate & Cherish, who got married only a few months before we did, recently found out they're expecting a baby girl and I could not be more excited for them!

It blows my mind when I think about how easily I could have gone my whole life without ever meeting some of the people who have come to mean so much to me.  Thanks to Mandy for giving me that chance as a barista...it has brought blessings I'm confident will last the rest of my life.

No comments: